Teen ODOT Program
Classes and Registration
The High Desert Education Service District is home to the High Desert Driver Education Program, which provides classroom and hands-on driving instruction to students in Central Oregon. Students who successfully complete the program within 60 days of final class may receive 1/2 proficiency credit toward graduation (depending on the school district they attend) and a waiver certificate (if under 18 years of age and not licensed). The certificate can be taken to DMV to waive the driving test. Please note that if your student will turn 18 before the completion of the course, they will not qualify for a DMV completion waiver.
There are a several options but they all include at least thirty-three hours of classroom instruction and 12 hours of behind the wheel instruction with ODOT certified instructors (must be completed within 60 days from last class):
Teen ODOT Program - Cost $699
- Classroom instruction- two and a half hours twice a week for 7 weeks (offered throughout the year)
- Behind-the-wheel with ODOT certified instructors- two students per vehicle once a week for 6 weeks
Daytime Teen ODOT Program - Cost $699
- These classes take place during the school day so students must attend the school they are offered at. Classes are M-F and follow the regular school schedule. (the Redmond Proficiency Academy class is 1.5 hrs twice a week during the school day)
- Behind-the-wheel with ODOT certified instructors- two students per vehicle once a week for 6 weeks.
High Desert Driver Education Program serves students in our local school districts: Bend, La Pine, Crook County, Redmond, Madras, and Sisters, as well as private schools and homeschool students.
- Must have Oregon driver permit to register
- Be 15-17 years of age