Teen ODOT Program
Classes and Registration
The High Desert Education Service District is home to the High Desert Driver Education Program, which provides classroom and hands-on driving instruction to students in Central Oregon. Students who successfully complete the program within 60 days of final class may receive 1/2 proficiency credit toward graduation (depending on the school district they attend) and a waiver certificate (if under 18 years of age and not licensed). The certificate can be taken to DMV to waive the driving test. Please note that if your student will turn 18 before the completion of the course, they will not qualify for a DMV completion waiver.
Thirty-three hours (or thirty in Summer) of classroom instruction and 12 hours of behind the wheel instruction with ODOT certified instructors (must be completed within 60 days from last class):
- Thirty-three hours (thirty in Summer) of classroom instruction
- Three hours once a week for 11 weeks during fall, winter, or spring terms depending on the location
- Three hours twice a week for 5 weeks during summer term
- Twelve hours of behind-the-wheel with ODOT certified instructors
- Two students per vehicle once a week for 8 weeks during fall, winter, or spring terms
- Two students per vehicle twice a week for 4 weeks during summer term
High Desert Driver Education Program serves students in our local school districts: Bend, La Pine, Crook County, Redmond, Madras, and Sisters, as well as private schools and homeschool students.
- Must have Oregon driver permit to register
- Be 15-17 years of age